Wednesday 21 May 2014

How to recover email after deleted Windows Live Mail account

I use Windows Live Email sometimes for special purposes, and when I deleted an email account, it inadvertently deleted all my email associated with that account! Somehow I must have glossed over any warning message.
The procedure I used to retrieved my email successfully is below, but first, here is an easier procedure for Windows 7 users, courtesy of Simon van der Pol:
  1. Close Windows Live Mail.
  2. Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft and then right click on the Windows Live Mail folder and choose ‘restore previous versions’.
  3. Then choose the most recent date to restore to and click restore.
  4. After restoring to a previous date, you can always restore back to a future date.
  5. Then open Windows Live Mail. All your e-mails should be in place.
Here is the procedure I used:
  1. Closed Windows Live Email.
  2. Made a backup copy of C:\Users\Philu\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail and also of C:\Users\Philu\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail (not sure if that second directory is needed but I did it too, just to be safe).
  3. Made a System Restore Point.
  4. Downloaded and installed ShadowExplorer.
  5. Selected the most recent time in the Toolbar button.
  6. In the navigation pane, navigated to C:\Users\Philu\AppData\Local\Microsoft.
  7. Right-clicked on Windows Live Mail and exported it to a temporary directory.
  8. Did the same for the Windows Mail directory.
  9. Closed ShadowExplorer.
  10. Opened Windows Explorer.
  11. Cut C:\Users\Philu\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail and alsoC:\Users\Philu\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail and pasted them into another backup directory.
  12. Moved my exported copies of Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail from steps 7 and 8 into C:\Users\Philu\AppData\Local\Microsoft.
  13. Opened Windows Live Mail.
    All my mail was back!
I was using Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) with Windows Live Email Version 2011.

References

No comments:

Post a Comment